List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Need testing: kab 0.8alpha, ANNOUNCE: kab API
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1998-05-24 12:14:30

Hello KDE developers,
after changing some tricky stuff in the kab file handling and Makefiles I need
some assistance in testing. The snapshot of kab (from May 24) may be downloaded
from
	http://www.hamburg.netsurf.de/~mirko.sucker/kab.html
There may be some compiler probs that hopefully should all be described in
COMPILE_PROBLEMS_FAQ in the archive.
I need some compilation and running test reports from different systems and
configurations, especially reports concerning the meanwhile well-known STL
version problem.
TIA.

Additionally I want to announce a first version of the kab API. It is a
programming interface for external programs to use kab's dialogs and UI elements
and the address database. I tested it a lot, and it should be stable, at least
usable for testing.
The API consists of the dynamic library "libkab.so.0" that is part of the kab
archive (version 0.8) and some headers. It is described in the header
"libkab/kabapi.h", the documentation needs to be extracted with kdoc.
External programs can select entries and use its data and add, change and remove
entries. This operations should work fine.
Please send me some comments if your programs need other operations. It is
planned to add some "intelligent" search support to find entries that look close
to a pattern (for the isdn monitor and the organizer, for example). If anybody
can help me with some information about algorithms for measuring the resemblence
of entries against a pattern please mail me, thanks.
That is all for now, I will be off until the end of the week.
Greetings,
--Mirko.
PS: Soraya, your changes are not included by now, I will do it the next weekend.
-- http://www.hamburg.netsurf.de/~mirko.sucker/
Die besten sind diejenigen, die alles selbst bedenken; gut sind auch die,
die auf den Rat Erfahrener hoeren; diejenigen aber, die weder wissen noch
hoeren auf anderer Weisheit sind nutzlose Wichte. --Hesiod (8. Jhd. v.C.)