List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-05-07 11:01:40

On Thu, 07 May 1998, Stephan Kulow wrote:
(...)
>what is the name? KFileDialog wants dir to be QDir::currentPath() +
>"whatever".

If I pass path (dir+filename) as
"/home/sven/kde/kdenetwork/kmail/unnamed"
I get this location in selector
/home/sven/kde/kdenetwork/kmail//home/sven/kde/kdenetwork/kmail/unnamed

If I pass only name "unnamed" I get "malformed URL". IMHO if I pass only
name, without path. selector should open in current dir with that name.

And further,  that name gets lost if I change directory.

Example:
I received a mail with attachment named xy.gif. I want to save it and
kfiledialog opens/should open with location (dir+filename)
'/home/me/xy.gif'. Now I click on directory "images" (let that be the
place where I keep pictures) and location turns to '/home/me/images/' -
without proposed filename.

I cannot use KFileDialog::getDirectory because I might want to change
the name of attachment.

I would vote for single filname entry in kfiledialog. It can be placed
right from location.

Most users understand 'location' as answer to question 'where', and
'filename' as answer to 'what'.  Mixing 'where'+'what' can be confusing
from end users point of view.

 --
Sven Radej