List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 32 bit (un)signed int on every system?
From:       Christian Esken <chris () wallace ! ping ! de>
Date:       1998-03-20 1:38:35

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 Burkhard Lehner wrote:
>Kaiserslautern, 19.3.98
>Hi, Developers!
>
>I can remember there was this question once before, but I don't remember
>the answer.
>
>What type can I use, defined on EVERY system, that is defined as a 32 bit
>singed / unsigned int?
>
>What doesn't work is:
>
>long / unsigned long   : seems to be 64 bit on DEC alpha
>int / unsigned int     : can be 16 bit on some systems

Be assured on every proper *nix system   sizeof(int)=4

Only old machines like the Atari ST used 16 Bit integers.

>int32_t, u_int32_t     : isn't defined on many systems (e.g. SunOS)
>__u32                  : the only system I found was Linux :-)
>
>Is there anything else I could use? Please HELP!!!! :-)
>
>If there is nothing like that, could someone please extend configure to
>define a correct type? (Or has someone done that already?)

I wasn't quite sure when programming libmediatool. So in
$KDEDIR/include/mediatool.h  you find proper definitions
for 8 Bit, 16 Bit and 32 Bit  types, that work on i386 Linux, Alpha-Linux,
*-BSD and (hopefully) Solaris.

>   Burkhard

>   "Manchmal glaube ich, der beste Beweis dafür, dass es anderswo im
>Weltall intelligentes Leben gibt, ist der, dass noch niemand versucht
>hat, Kontakt zu uns aufzunehmen."
>(Aus "Calvin und Hobbes: Immer voll drauf" von Bill Watterson)
>
>Burkhard Lehner, Trippstadter Str. 121 / App. 106, 67663 Kaiserslautern
>Telefon : (0631) 10363
>EMail   : b_lehner@informatik.uni-kl.de
>Homepage: http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~blehner

Bye,