List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KLocale weirdnes
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-03-04 10:39:57

Christian Esken wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Mar 1998 Stefan Taferner wrote:

> >>I think I will add LC_* settings to ~/.kderc. This way we can set locale
> >>for KDE in similar way as it is set thorough environment variables. If they
> >>are not present KDE will use default set by setlocale(LC_ALL,""), and
> >>Language setting will be used for LC_MESSAGES.
> >
> >I think that we will end up in the mess that Win$ has today. There some
> >things are set in environment variables and others in the registry or in
> >ini files.
> >
> >Why use our own mechanism when there are well defined environment
> >variables that shall be used?
> >
> >IMO we should create a small script that sets the environment variables
> >upon start. This script then should be machine readable and be modified
> >from the kde config tools. Then each app should use these variables.
>
> Well, this works somehow. But environment variables are passed from
> process to process. So you must logout to make sure the new language settings
> take effect.
>
> Imagine this scenario:
> 1) You start KDE first-time, so  $LANG=en
> 2) You open a shell, which then has $LANG=en  , too.
> 3) You change the language with kcmlocale to german language
> 4a) You start a kedit from the shell.
>       Shell still has $LANG=en => kedit comes up english
> 4b) You start a kedit from the K Menu.
>       kpanel passes (intelligently) $LANG=de => kedit comes up german
>
> Not so good and hard to explain to users, hmm.
>
> >I am a bit anxious that the user has to take care to set things twice: once
> >for the Kde apps and once for all others.
>
> Ooops, what is this?  I now set 1st, 2nd and 3rd Language in kcmlocale to
> "Default language" and set $LANG=de. But kedit comes up english. This
> is wrong behaviour, isn't it?!?  So $LANG is completely ignored  :-(

Hmmm, that's somehow a misunderstanding of the term default language. If
you
set the language in kcmlocale to C, exactly this lanuage is used. Only,
if no
language is present (first start for example), $LANG is used. We ignore
LANG,
when there is a KDE setting because of the above scenario. Perhaps we
should
erase the Language setting in case someone entered three times "Default
language" ;)

Greets, Stephan

--
Teigwaren heissen Teigwaren, weil sie Teig waren * J. v. d. Lippe
MFCH