List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KShellProcess Bugfix
From:       Christian Czezatke <e9025461 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-03-02 12:19:13

Hi!

I just want to keep all the KDE developers (and brave users of the
KShellProcess class ;-)) updated on a change in KShellProcess that I
consider as being a bugfix.

As you might have noticed, using KShellProcess the following way did not
quite do what one expected:

  KShellProcess import;

  import << "pcxtoppm" << "test.pcx" << ">" << "/tmp/MyTempFile";
  import.start(KProcess::Block);

This example caused the program to mysteriosely hang in "import.start".
Using "ps", however, shows that the program does not hang, rather that
"pcxtoppm" just sits there forever... :-(((

On the other hand, using a code snipped like the following works quite
nice:

  KShellProcess import;

  import << "pcxtoppm test.pcx > /tmp/MyTempFile";
  import.start(KProcess::Block);

The problem is that the two calls have different semantics. I've now fixed
KShellProcess that both of these usages of "KShellProcess::operator<<"
have the same semantics.

This makes the behaviour of "operator<<" for KProcess and KShellProcess
consistent again.

I hope that no KDE applications have relied on this broken behaviour of
KShellProcess.

The fix is already in the CVS, so it should be in the next kdelibs
snapshot too.

If you have any problems with this KShellProcess change, please email me
directly.

Thanks

     Christian

PS: To Kalle: Could this also be the reason for your problem with a
    cpio--derivate that we were discussing some weeks ago?

| Christian Czezatke, Student of Computer Science at the Vienna    |
| University Of Technology.                                        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |