List:       kde-devel
Subject:    PerlQt/KDE, Request for volunteers
From:       Ashley Winters <jql () accessone ! com>
Date:       1998-02-27 23:53:34

Hello Qt enthusiasts,

  I need your help to bind ALL Qt and KDE classes to Perl, easily and
efficiently.

  As many of you may or may not know, I wrote a Qt binding to Perl last
year known as PerlQt, and I haven't released an update for 10 months.
Even though I haven't released anything in 10 months, I have been working
on PerlQt occasionally, and have made impressive unreleased advances. At
one time or another, I've found solutions to every problem I had with the
previous versions. You can download version 1.06 of PerlQt from
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/AWIN/

  The C++ binding code to Perl in PerlQt-2 will be generated by a perl
script from a file containing C++ prototypes. I created the prototypes for
2000 methods from 80+ core Qt classes into an enhanced Java-like format. I
have a working code-generator which generates binding code for Perl from
the prototypes.

  Now I need your help. The current code-generator makes too many
Qt-specific assumptions. In order to wean the next version of the
code-generator from Qt, I need the prototypes for as many Qt-related
libraries and classes as possible, from KDE to OpenGL. Even non-Qt
classes would be appreciated.

  The prototype format is very close to C++, and no Perl knowledge is
required. In addition, any classes you provide me with prototypes for at
this critical moment will be adjusted by me personally, and will be
guaranteed to work the instant PerlQt-2 is released. It took me only 2
days to prototype all of Qt; over 80 classes, with around 2000 methods.
It won't take up too much of your time, either.

  If you're interested in helping me, or just want to see what I've
done, send me a message. Along with my reply, I will attach the Qt
prototypes as well as the code-generater. The code-generator is not freely
distributable *YET* and I am not making *THIS* version available for ftp.
PerlQt-2 *WILL* be free. I want to be able to gauge interest and I don't
want altavista to permanently index a miniscule component which I'm going
to end up completely rewriting anyways.

  I will mail the code-generator with the prototypes to anyone who asks
for it. I only want to know that you want it. If you're interested in
contributing, tell me what you would like to interface. Next week, I'll
sort out the offers to make sure none of your effort is duplicated.
I need volunteers for KDE most of all.

  When I am finished, I should have the best Perl GUI (fastest, simplest,
least memory), and the definitive scripting interface for both Qt and KDE.
It will be so simple and wide-spread, that it would be silly for anyone
writing anything but the most trivial Qt/KDE library not to write a Perl
interface to go with it. And the prototypes will be valid for possible
future binding interfaces to other languages. Perhaps even PythonQt ala
Ashley?

Trolls: Don't worry, the code-generator isn't dependant on Qt and isn't
subject to your licensing. Your API is publicly available, and I'm
not restricting its redistribution. If you'd like a copy, just ask. :)

Thank you,
Ashley Winters