List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Widgets fontsize problems
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-02-13 17:52:11

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Martin Haefner wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have noticed that (nearly) all KDE Applications get lot of trouble
> when changing the default KDE applications fontsize from standard to
> large and additionally the style from normal to broad. When you observe
> the applications, you can notice that nearly
> all developers use the standard fontsize to build their widgets.
> Changing to larger fonts then makes labels disappear partly or be
> overwritten by other widget components.
> Changing language from e.g. english to german also causes trouble
> as german words are often longer than english.
> And what happens if one day user defined fonts will be allowed?
>
> If someone has a really nice solution for this problem please write
> an understandable documentation how to build autoresizing
> widgets. I think this is really missing. At least for me.
> I have solved the problem by very large widgets, which leave enough
> space also for the huge broad helvetica font, but this is no real
> solution.

The solution is, of course, to use geometry managed dialogs, and widgets
that think about their contents before displaying.

I have implemented something like that in my KTypeLayout class, which I
use to build the Krn dialogs.

It has currently two problems:

1) It doesn't adjust size if you are seeing the dialog. If you exit the
   app and restart it will work ok.
2) It's basically just one huge memory leak ;-)
   Since I use it to create dialogs that never get destroyed, I don't
   care, but I can see this would be a problem for general use.

If you want examples, just look in the Krn sources (all dialogs are built
with this).

If a dialog doesn't display nicely with any font, it's a bug.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).