List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: application installation issue (idea)
From:       Sebastien Tanguy <sebastien.tanguy () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       1998-02-10 23:08:28

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Preston Brown wrote:

> Hi again everyone:
>
> I have an idea for the canonical "configure" script that we are all using
> to build our applications.  In the "install" section, make should perform
> a test for root privileges. If they exist, go ahead and install the
> program under $KDEDIR.  Otherwise, install the application under ~/.kde.
> This way normal users can go out and get applications that their sysadmin
> hasn't installed and use them correctly.

No, and i have a example:
if the sysadmin has created a group and some users (restricted) do all
the stuff about kde (compil, install...) using this group.
If configure follows your idea, it would install everything under
some user homedir. (this is not what they wanted to do)

On my own linuxbox, i do all the installations under /usr/local/
as simple user, not root; i do the same for kde.

> Anyone else like this idea?  Anyone have good ideas for how to do it?
> (maybe the old "touch /.TEST_FOR_ROOT" thingie?)

why not touch $KDEDIR/.TEST_FOR_ROOT ? (yeah, nice :-P)

maybe a better solution would be a configure option, like
--install-this-under-my-dir :-). and i guess --prefix should
be the easy solution but it looks for libs which are in $KDEDIR/lib
(and it doesn't find them), so what about --with-kde-dir=...

Kulow, what do you think about it ?

> ---
>  -Preston Brown
>   preston.brown@yale.edu

					A++

............Blessed is the one who says "miaow"...................
Sebastien Tanguy         ("Call me zif...")	  Computer Student
"If you want to travel around the world and be invited  to speak a
lot of different places, just write a Unix Operating System
				(Linus T.)