List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: KMenu edit
From:       Christoph Neerfeld <Christoph.Neerfeld () bonn ! netsurf ! de>
Date:       1997-11-01 9:21:14

On 31-Oct-97 Sven Radej wrote:

>On 31-Oct-97 Christoph Neerfeld wrote:
>> The idea behind $HOME/.kde/share/applnk and $KDEDIR/share/applnk is to
>> have
>> two different menus. One provided by the system or your admin and one
>> created
>> by yourself. The default menu will become very huge some day ( I hope so
>> ;-) )
>> so you will want to put more often used entries in your personal
>> directory.
>
>This can be very confusing for Gil Bates, who used to have win95 before his
>company went broke.
>
>He will have two menus with Applications (one system, and one his
>personal). What if he wants to bind kedit to some new data type, and
>copies kedit.kdelnk in his personal dir to add that binding; He'll have
>two kedits which will drive him insane.
>Also, if he wants to add lyx.kdelnk, he won't be able put it in system
>Applications dir (Ain't no root that stupid to give Gil root access); so
>he'll have to make another Applications dir in his personal dir.
>
>Gil knows that lyx is an application therefore it should go in
>dir 'Applications' (during his work in his former company Gil learned to
>think logically). Now he cannot understand why must he heave two
>Applications directories. And he cannot remember which application is in
>which application-directory, what drives him even more insane.

Well, I think someone who is confused by two different application-diretories
and can't remember where he put his files will not have the knowledgeto
create his own lyx.kdelnk file or override other kdelnk-files. ;-)

But maybe you are right that kfm should read $HOME/.kde/share/applnk after
$KDEDIR/share/applnk. You should contact Torben for this.

Regards,

Chris.