List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KNLS - library support
From:       Matthias Hoelzer <hoelzer () physik ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       1997-07-31 14:33:11

Hi everybody,

lately somebody suggested to include menu templates in KApplication. This
made me think about a big omission in KNLS: you can not use KNLS in the
kde-libraries at the moment, because you have to know the identifiers used
to index the strings at compile-time.

Now if you want to have default menus, and if you want them to use the
national language (and they better would), you have to do something
different. (Note: this also affects file-selectors and the like).

I therefore would suggest to add to KNLS functions with string indices.
These would access a file containing all strings needed for the libs. You
could then have a file (kde.nls, for example) that contains the strings
needed by the library functions. By using strings as indices, you can
simply merge the language files for each component.

Of course, if there is no kde.nls file, the default language (which should
be english, IMHO) will be used.

There is just one major drawback with this aproach: It could happen that
you get the default menu in your national language, but the application
specific entries are in english or whatever. This will be the case if the
application doesn't provide a translated .nls-file and you don't want to
translate it yourself.

Is there enough interest to nationalize the kde-libs, default menus and
things like this? Then I could implement this functions in the next
version of KNLS.

Bye,

Matthias.