List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mail-Problem
From:       Paul Foley <mycroft () actrix ! gen ! nz>
Date:       1997-07-31 1:31:04

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:07:33 +0200, Stefan Taferner wrote:

> At 10:33 30.07.97 METDST, you wrote:
>>>
>>> These little images are called "x-faces" and are not really new
>>> (as long as they are still black&white). Not many mail clients
>>> support them.
>>
>> xfmail suppports them .It's the best x mailreader I have seen ,
>> but that will change when kmail is ready.

> Thank you. I hope that we can hold your expectations.
> The problem that I have with xfmail is that it randomly hangs during
> editing of messages. Very annoying.

That and it's ugly, takes up far too much screen space, doesn't resize
properly, has the menu bar on the bottom (ugh!) and doesn't have much
functionality :-|

Exmh is better (IMO), also handles X-Face (and does good things with
URLs in your mail).

VM is best.  [and nothing else handles hashcash :-)]

And just so this has something to do with KDE:

1) Couple of minor bugs in khtmlw: Well, OK, the first is nothing to
do with khtmlw, just badly written HTML in the .../kde/doc/HTML
directory.  There are many lines that look like:

blah blah blah (
<A HREF="blah blah">blah</A>)

which results in a big ugly     space after the opening bracket.

The second problem is with khtmlw.  That closing
bracket  can wrap  to  the next  line (like this
).  That shouldn't happen unless there's a space
in there somewhere.

2) Try resizing a kvt.  Make it narrower than the scroll bar.  Seg
fault.  It needs a setMinimumSize.  Hmm...I just tried this again and
it doesn't seg fault.  It did before.  In any case, it still needs a
minimum size.

3) Nobody checks text widths before sizing buttons, etc.  Start
kghostview.  Select "Options|Configure Interpreter..."  I see "rpreter
name", "Antialiasin", "Platform fo", "Messag", "Monocron" (the n is
half an m) and "Backing stc" (half an o) in the labels, and "Defaults"
_just_ fits in its button (half the s is missing).   QFontMetrics is
your friend.

--
Paul Foley <mycroft@actrix.gen.nz>  ---   PGP-encrypted mail preferred

	   PGP key ID 0x1CA3386D available from keyservers
    fingerprint = 4A 76 83 D8 99 BC ED 33  C5 02 81 C9 BF 7A 91 E8
Note:  All email will be directed to my "junk" mailbox unless a 12-bit
hashcash payment is attached on an X-Payment: header.  Send me mail
with the subject "get hashcash info" for information.