List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE standards compliance
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () alpin ! or ! at>
Date:       1997-07-29 9:58:55

At 00:43 29.07.97 +0200, you wrote:

>On 28-Jul-97 Bertrand Leconte wrote:
>[ . . .]
>>[...]
>>> Having said that, I must admit that there are applications where a
>>> TopLevelWidget, a ToolBar and a MenuBar probably really do not make
>>> sense. But these should only be few, clearly defined and follow some
>>> other standard (e.g. display everything in a tab dialog - if you have
>>> more than n pages go for a normal application instead, always make the
>>> non-destructive button (i.e. cancel) the default and so on).
>>
>>We should define what are the criterium for theses applications,
>>and what will be there look & feel.
>
>For those who want to have toolbar and menubar but fixed-size:
>We should have a version of KTopLevel that keeps the size of view-widget
>fixed, and resizes the whole window according to moving of toolbars or
>menubars. For now, I think it's enough to disable moving of toolbar&menubar
>and setFixedSize.

Am I wrong or shouldn't in general the parent widget honor fixed sizes of a
child
widget?  Uh, dumb question. Of course it should.

Another thing. I think that a layout with fixed size is a really bad thing
if there
is a listbox in the window.

I frequently have to use windows apps that were designed for 640x480. And I
can
tell you that these listboxes that had probably around 10 lines and have
now only
5 lines 'cause the fonts are larger in pixles are a *real* pain to use.

A good design IMHO is that most windows can be resized, esp. those that
contain
listboxes or some sort of scrollable area. Why do I have to use a 400
points high
window if my screen is 1024 high for example ?

I think it would be good to mention somewhere that fixed sizes are not the
wisest thing to do. If you have to use M$ you learn to love the resizable apps
in X.

Best regards, Stefan