List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Free Corba 2.0
From:       Lars Doelle <lars.doelle () on-line ! de>
Date:       1997-07-20 20:29:48

weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> Perhaps this one could solve our inter process
> communication problem.
>
> What do you think?

You've posted this mail just in the moment i was going to write a
"Korba?" article. :)

I didn't yet look at the package you refered to, but i think it might be
a VERY GOOD IDEA (tm) to use corba with KDE.

I must emphasize the fact that corba can be bridged to DCOM (which is
based on osf dce rpc), which is the ground of ole 2.0 and active x.
These bridge is defined together with corba (chapter 13,
<http://www.omg.org> and i've seen at least one implementation of it
<http://www.visigenic.com>.

Thus, if we want to have ole-like infrastructure and ole-connectivity in
kde, we really should use corba.

There more than half a dozend freeware ORBs floating around in the net
and one should make a carefull choice. I've had a look on ILU (Xerox)
and on omniORB2 (Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, it GNU). After
this, i can tell that one should watch out for:

1) At least the Corba core should implemented.
2) The exception material may create problems with gcc-2.7, since the
throw/catch stuff requieres static binding. This will hopefully be
solved in gcc-2.8.
3) The kind of activations the BOA allows.
4) The typical Corba infrastructure (Common Object Services like name
service, life time cycle, transactions, persistence, ...) is often
missing (even in commertial orbs).

Further, i can tell that there is very good java support in the corba
world.

My overall impression is, that corba is both simple and powerfull
enought to be the choice for an elaborated distributed infrastructure
for KDE.

I could image lots of application for corba within KDE.

Later, Lars