List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PerlQt ?
From:       Ashley Winters <jql () accessone ! com>
Date:       1997-06-30 19:23:29

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Alexander Sanda wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 1997 at 02:57:25PM -0400, Bernd Johannes Wuebben wrote:
>
> [PerlQt]
>
> > I have played with it and I think it is fantastic!!
> >           A very very nice implementation.
> >
> > The only problem with it is that it uses all the latest stuff ( I also had
> > some trouble compiling it, but I communciated with the author and I think
> > he has fixed the hickups now) in particular you need to have the very
> > latest beta version of perl compiled in a special way,which is a bit in
> > the way for a general distribution in my opinion.
>
> Hm, for the latest PerlQt (1.05) you absolutely need perl >= 5.004. The
> author clearly mentions this fact in the README. Regarding Qt: Yes it
> requires Qt 1.2, but thatīs not a problem. We also do.

PerlQt will never again require a version of Perl which hasn't been
released for at least 2 months. Oh, and when Qt-1.3 comes out, expect an
immediate upgrade for PerlQt. But I plan on keeping it Qt-1.2 friendly as
well, of course. I can't go and make backwards-incompatible changes on a
whim much longer. :)

> Since Iīam running a RedHat system, I grabbed the latest perl rpm from
> redhats contrib directory, installed it and afterwards I could compile
> PerlQt without a single complaint.
>
> > Also it is not too small
> > all together either and the last time I checked there wasn't an rpm or
> > anything. Most normal users will be completely out of their league when
> > trying to compile it. I realize that these are somewhat "unfair" comments,
> > but I believe the "facts" I mentioned make it a bit difficult for PerlQT
> > to catch on. Then again its been 3-4 weeks that I gathered those
> > imperssions, things might have changed drastically.
>
> Perhaps, somebody could manage to build a rpm (my experiences with
> building rpmīs are almost non-existant).

It has been done in 1.06 (released tomorrow). PerlQt 1.06 also has a
terrific new Configure and build script which will make it quite simple to
compile it on your own. I realize how tough it's been for other people to
compile...

> Yes, PerlQt is always bleeding edge but imho this problem will vanish
> in a few months. That is, I donīt expect it to be a problem any more,
> when we will do the first KDE release.

It will stay at this same point for a few months. It will become quite
mainstream and quite stable in that time. I only plan one one minor
backwards-incompatible change, which will be versioned up to 1.10.