List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Java & QT ?
From:       Ashley Winters <jql () accessone ! com>
Date:       1997-06-06 17:57:59

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Ashley Winters wrote:

Oh dear, I'm responding to my own e-mails. This can't be a good sign.

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a very close look at kaffe and biss and sawt.
> > Since it is possible to run the Java Toolit ( =Qt) in one
> > thread with synced methods it should not be impossible to
> > implement a Qt Toolkit.
>
> Very cool. Sounds technically possible. :)

It's apparently financially possible as well, see below...

> > A good way for starting would be:
> >
> > Get biss-awt kernel. Strip it down to just use some printf's.
> >
> > If this skeleton works, one can start adding Qt.
> >
> > First of all implement Toolkit.run as the Qt-Event loop, then implement
> > a simple ButtonPeer and so on.
> >
> > Is anyone interested? I would love to do it but I have some other
> > urgent KDE jobs to do :-)
>
> Umm... I would be interested if it didn't appear to be a waste of time.
> I'm afraid you'll have to acknowledge that most people use Java for
> commercial applications. And Qt cannot be used for commercial applications
> without buying the license. Even if you bind it to another language first.
>
> Can you forsee any relevant market-share with the usage of JavaQt limited
> to GPLed, freely distributed Java code? I don't.

Bah, ignore my disgruntled embittered ramblings. As long as you stay
strictly within the Sun Java specs (and don't allow any qt-isms into Java
code), nobody has to pay. Probably. :)

> > But of course I would help where I can. At least I could tell
> > you where to start.
> >
> > Once we can open a window with Qt-Java and displa a button
> > I am shure that there will be enough developers to complete
> > the job. But someone has to jump in the cold water.
> >
> > Any volunteers ?
> >
> > Bye
> > Torben
> >
> > PS: Please mention: Kaffe is a JIT machine. Together with Qt-AWT
> > this could be one of the fastest available JAVA implemenation!
>
> One of the important reasons for Kaffe's existance is that it's free
> (GPLed, kinda the same). Qt is not free for commercial use, which is *the*
> market for Java. Nobody can ever get paid while using JavaQt.
>
> I'm being a huge downer, I know. But I was recently stung by the Qt
> license in this area, and I'm taking it out on all of you. :)
>
> Free free to dispute me. If you find any relevant loopholes, I will be
> sure to send em off to qt-info for confirmation. I'd really like to see a
> loophole.

Oh, I had loophole pounded into my skull. It just doesn't help *me*.
Just JavaQt.

Perhaps I'll help out with JavaQt in a couple months. My schedule is
booked with writing easily refuted e-mails.

Ashley Winters