List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE PROJECT: Ksql
From:       Lars Doelle <lars.doelle () on-line ! de>
Date:       1997-03-21 23:29:39

Alexander Rupsch wrote:

> Hello Freaks ;)
>
> The target is to create a transparent interface to your favourite database
> (or the the database witch your admin is offer you).
>
> At first I'll start to put the msql API (C based) into objects.
> I want to encapsulate this highly, because of adding other databases too.

Allthough i appreachiate this in general, i don't think it's a good idea
to make your own interface nor to prefere the msql interface. You'd
better use the odbc.
There is a free odbc toolkit out called iODBC. The package contains a
customized version for msql also.

Even if i do not find the odbc a pretty or even good api it is common
and any program written for it would be portable between unix and
windows.

A simple graphical odbc test utility (connnect,disconnect, shell-like
query) would be a good start for this.

Cheers, Lars