List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde on the right way?
From:       Lars Doelle <lars.doelle () on-line ! de>
Date:       1997-01-28 0:03:31

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Standards are documented - standards are available to application
> programmers.
Sure!

> The OSF/Motif 2.0 Style Guide is not.  Its ISBN was to be
> 0-13-143182-X, but the publication was cancelled.
Hmm, i've received a part of a pre-release with my distribution.
Since OSF has announced the completion of the style guide in august last
year (see
<http://www.osf.org/motif/CDE/CDE2.1facts.html>), i cannot guess a
reason why it should not soon be public available. May be they've
delayed it, since they've merged the CDE style guidelines into it.

> I've also tried to get a CDE style guide, but for that I haven't even
> found an ISBN.
See above. You're talking about style guides, ie. more or less vage
directions of how applications should look like (menu on the top, status
on bottom, scroll bar right, text in menubars left, etc. all covered in
full cruel details). This is normally a document of few worth. But if
you may be interested in rebuilding the Motif look precicely, then i
dought in fact that you would find all nessesary informations published
anywhere.

> If the CDE folks don't care enough about their "standard" to make a
> style guide available to third-party application developers, the CDE
> is no right way.
CDE information is published by Addison-Wesley, total eight manuals.
See <http://www.aw.com/devpress/series/cde.html>.

I didn't read any of them (they're brand-new), so i can't tell of what
use they could really be. Arnt, to pick up your point: Does anyone know
if full CDE specs are currently available? If not, then i must admit,
that the CDE is actually a questionable "standard".