List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Developing KWin, starting nested KWin
From:       Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup () flump ! de>
Date:       2024-05-08 22:31:03

Hi,

I'm interested in playing around with KWin's source code (especially with the
built-in tiling feature). However, I find it kind of complicated to find a good
workflow for development (I'm on a desktop with Plasma/KWin on Wayland).

I tried to research what is possible and see this possibilities:
- Replace the current running KWin. I'm pretty sure that this is not a good
idea, especially, when I include buggy code that segfaults, etc.
- Start a nested KWin. I saw this here [1] and it seems to work quite well.
However, I need some kind of launcher. I tried krunner but it disappears and
pressing the keybinding just opens the "real" krunner. A terminal emulator
also works but opening new windows there is not quite comfortable.
- Start KWin on another TTY. I did not try this but it seems quite complicated
to change the whole context every time to test something.

So, what is your workflow? Is it possible to start a whole Plasma session
inside a nested KWin and how are keybindings captured there?

Best,
Gerion

[1] https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland#Starting_a_nested_KWin