List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: AppStream Metadata with our releases
From:       Nate Graham <nate () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-04-21 11:58:46

On 3/25/24 23:27, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dilluns, 25 de març de 2024, a les 19:37:07 (CET), Volker Krause va
> escriure:
>> As Itinerary was mentioned, the process there currently is to run David's KF
>> changelog script over all repositories in Itinerary's dependency chain and
>> take the top 5 or so most visible/important changes (which here are
>> actually often from other repositories). The commit adding the release to
>> appstream is my reminder for that currently, but there's other ways to do
>> that, so for Itinerary the proposed change wouldn't make much of a
>> difference either way.
>
> This brings an interesting point, it would seem that the right time to add the
> release description is at the end of the release cycle when you know all the
> changes, not when a particular commit is made.

I like what Itinerary does. Idea: we run this script nightly in repos
with AppStream metadata so that it appends changes newly committed
changes to the notes quickly after they've made, not just all in one big
blog towards the end of the release. Then a few more changes could make
it acceptable to roll it out universally:

- When run for this purpose, modify the script to ignore anything that
doesn't fix a bug report, so the changelog doesn't end up too long and
spammy.

- Allow repos to opt out if they prefer to manually write/curate their
release notes.

Nate