List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Gear projects with failing CI (master) (9 April 2024)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-04-10 12:54:26

Am Mittwoch, 10. April 2024, 14:29:37 CEST schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Mittwoch, 10. April 2024 13:33:46 CEST Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> > > I learned that this is the usual procedure for Frameworks. But it
> > > highlights why it's a bad idea for applications to depend on the master
> > > versions of Frameworks.
> >
> > In (software) development it seems usually fine to have development
> > branches of separate components depend on each other's latest state. They
> > call it Continuous Integration. One of the purposes is to get
> > early-as-possible feedback, not only post-release when certain things can
> > no longer be changed. In the case of KF libraries that would be e.g.
> > feasibility of new API as well as the state of the implementation. Which
> > is usually considered a good idea, both for the libraries as well as the
> > applications as the consumers of the libraries.
> >
> > It is a bad idea only from the POV of Craft users, as the tool seems not
> > yet capable to deal with development branches of all dependencies?
>
> It does support this but it will kill our CI/CD system if every Craft CD job
> builds all Frameworks from scratch. In any case, what you talk about is
> covered by the CI (Continuous Integration!) jobs.
>
> The Craft CD (Continuous Delivery/Deployment) jobs are meant to be used for
> building releases. When we stop doing fixed point releases and start doing
> continuous releases of Frameworks then we can talk about doing CD from
> master.

Hm, not sure if we talk along the same lines. Let's summarize what I saw here:

1. craft-tool based job on master branch of app fails
2. reason: master branch of app expects master branch of library, job though
only supplies released version of that library
3. claim: "highlights why it's a bad idea for applications to depend on the
master versions of Frameworks"
4. "Craft CD jobs are meant to be used for building releases"

So why are there Craft CD jobs on master branches of apps? Or what kind of
Craft jobs are those?

My point is: it is not a bad idea for applications to depend on master
versions of Frameworks, for the reasons given in my response.

So what is the context of that claim stating the opposite?

Cheers
Friedrich