List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Should we stop distributing source tarballs?
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-04-06 2:47:27

On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 4:23 AM Johannes Zarl-Zierl <johannes@zarl-zierl.at>
wrote:

> Am Freitag, 5. April 2024, 13:45:35 CEST schrieb Carl Schwan:
> > On Friday, April 5, 2024 12:04:28 PM CEST Albert Vaca Cintora wrote:
> > > - Tarballs should only be generated in a reproducible manner using
> > > scripts. Ideally by the CI only.
> > > - We should start to sign tarballs in the CI.
> >
> > I disagree. I want my tarball to be signed with my GPG key stored in my
> > Yubiky and not by a generic KDE key. It should be a proof that I as a
> > maintainer of a project did the release and not someone else. Same with
> the
> > upload to download.kde.org, while this adds some overhead in the
> process, I
> > think it is important that KDE Sysadmins are the one who move the tarball
> > to their final location and do some minimal check (checksum match, it's
> not
> > a random person doing the release, ...).
>
> Signing with a KDE key could have some benefits, though. It's far easier
> for
> distros (or users) to check KDE software against a single, well known key.
>
> On could mitigate the downside that you mentioned by having the script
> check
> the tag signature against a keyring of trusted keys.

Please see https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/release-keyring/ - our process
for validating tarballs for release already includes ensuring the GPG
signatures provided are included in that keyring.
All modern releases of KDE software that come with a GPG signature whose
key is not in that keyring should be rejected.

Developers should also consider adding their keys to Gitlab at
https://invent.kde.org/-/profile/gpg_keys
Following this, your GPG key will be published at
https://invent.kde.org/$username.gpg

> Cheers,
>   Johannes

Cheers,