List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: AppStream Metadata with our releases
From:       Ingo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-03-26 7:35:32

On Montag, 25. März 2024 23:23:01 CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dissabte, 23 de març de 2024, a les 21:06:46 (CET), Julius Künzel va
> escriure:
> > 22.03.2024 17:22:33 Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org>:
> > > El divendres, 22 de març de 2024, a les 0:37:00 (CET), Julius Künzel va
> > > escriure:

> > > My pessimistic opinion is that no one is going to add release notes,
> > > we've
> > > tried multiple ways to do it, even just asking people to add a keyword
> > > the commit log if that commit log was release news worthy and no one did
> > > it past the first few weeks/months.
> >
> > Well, that might happen, but we don't know if we don't try... And as I
> > don't see this causing any extra work and (yet) can't see any downsides,
> > it is even worth it if it helps just a single app or developer, no?
>
> It is some extra work (not a lot, but some).
>
> You're asking for the workflow of creating to be releases to be changed by
> creating the entry in the file earlier, that alone is a bit of work, but it
> has several other consequences:
>
>  * https://apps.kde.org/okular/ shows releases from the appstream file (i
> think) meaning that the code should learn to ignore releases in the future.
> Arguably we would need also now, but given the data is added just a few days
> before the actual release i think users can understand "this release will
> happen soon)" compared to a thing one month in the future

It's not only apps.kde.org. The release (notes) information is also used by
the scripts preparing meta data for publication in various app stores. The
Microsoft Store script uses the description of the most recent release found
in the AppStream data for the What's New section. OTOH, the script uses the
JSONified AppStream data published by apps.kde.org, so that omitting future
releases in the JSONified AppStream data would also work for Microsoft Store
publications. I'm not sure how the other stores use the release notes.

Regards,
Ingo