List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: KDE Plasma 5.27 on OpenBSD
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-12-27 19:53:35

On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 6:52 AM Rafael Sadowski <rafael@sizeofvoid.org>
wrote:

> On Tue Dec 26, 2023 at 11:33:16AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 9:26 AM Rafael Sadowski <rafael@sizeofvoid.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am pleased to announce that KDE Plasma is available on OpenBSD
> > > alongside all KDE Gear 23.08.4 applications as well as Frameworks
> > > 5.113.0.
> > >
> > > Today the 26.12.23 it was enabled and will be available in the next
> > > release (or in -current rolling release).
> > >
> > > - https://twitter.com/sizeofvoid/status/1739641916050792882
> > > - https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports-cvs&m=170359681610856&w=4
> > > - https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports-cvs&m=170359673610818&w=4
> > >

> > Congratulations! Out of curiosity, do you have KDE Plasma Wayland
> > working yet? I saw recently that the basic Wayland stack was ported to
> > OpenBSD and now that the Sway stack works on OpenBSD[1] and I know
> > that it works on FreeBSD already[2].
> >
> > [1]: https://homepages.laas.fr/matthieu/talks/wayland-openbsd.pdf
> > [2]: https://euroquis.nl/kde/2021/04/30/wayland.html
> >

> Thanks!
>
> Unfortunately no, I'm working on it. I have recorded the situation and
> orther issues in the README:
>
> https://github.com/openbsd/ports/blob/master/meta/kde/pkg/README-plasma#L68
>
> I don't want to abuse this thread, but here is the current start process
> and as you can see, the DRM device cannot be opened.

While it seems strange, the issue here is the lack of a properly
functioning ConsoleKit - see
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/blob/master/src/core/session_consolekit.cpp
Specifically, the function openRestricted there is used by KWin to open the
GPU / Display device (in
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/blob/master/src/backends/drm/drm_backend.cpp)
as these devices are usually owned by root.