List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unified internal communications channel
From:       Volker Krause <vkrause () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-12-07 18:00:27

On Donnerstag, 7. Dezember 2023 18:04:24 CET Carl Schwan wrote:
> On Thursday, December 7, 2023 4:15:36?PM CET Nate Graham wrote:
> > What I'm proposing is some kind of place that *only* has internal
> > announcements and is very log signal-to-noise such that we can
> > fearlessly recommend that *everybody* subscribe to it. In addition,
> > ideally those who want to subscribe via mailing list could do so, but
> > its content would automatically appear in other places too, such as
> > discuss.kde.org and an invent.kde.org project. That way people can
> > subscribe by whatever means is most comfortable to them.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I fear this will just create a new source of information instead of unifying
> the source of information. We already have the following channels for
> announcements:
>
> - planet.kde.org: contains release announcements, gear release schedule
> announcement from Albert as well as random development updates
> - kde-code-devel@kde.org: contains mostly news about new apps and modules
> - kde-devel@kde.org: contains the gear release schedule announcements and
> other technical announcements
> - plasma-devel@kde.org: contains important for plasma developers and the
> meeting notes of the monday chat meeting.
> - kde-community@kde.org contains general community (non technical)
> announcements
>
> Adding a new channel that is either a mailing list, rss feed or a forum
> category won't help and will probably only makes it worse. It's also very
> difficult to defines that is an important internal news for the whole
> community is as it will be different for every subproject in KDE. The
> plasma logo discussion would have not been very relevant for any app
> developers. Similarly discussion about the new default database backend for
> Akonadi won't be interesting for Plasma developers but might be interesting
> for KMyMoney and other non-PIM apps using Akonadi.

Technically we do have a low-traffic channel for everyone even, kde-cvs-
announce. That one is even mandatory for people with contributor accounts
AFAIK, you get added to that by default. However that is really only for
things relevant for everyone, such as important infrastructure changes.

A topic like the one that triggered this discussion obviously doesn't qualify
for that, that was mostly relevant for people involved in Plasma. So we'd need
to clarify who we mean by "everybody" here, and I suspect that will be a
subset of people varying from topic to topic. If so, one more channel is
unlikely to magically fix things I think.

> Something that might help is merging the kde-core-devel and kde-devel
> mailing lists as those are very similar and should hopefully not be too
> complicated to do.

And/or kde-frameworks-devel, yes, we probably don't need all three of those
anymore. While it might help a bit in finding appropriate channels to address
the subset of people you want/need to reach it's somewhat orthogonal to Nate's
proposal and would not have made any difference for the Plasma logo discussion
I think.

Regards,
Volker