List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Interest in building an LLM frontend for KDE
From:       Ethan Barry <ethanbarry () howdytx ! net>
Date:       2023-12-01 3:07:04

On Thursday, November 30th, 2023 at 8:53 PM, Loren Burkholder \
<computersemiexpert@outlook.com> wrote:

> Howdy, everyone!
>
> You are all undoubtedly aware of the buzz around LLMs for the past year. Of course, \
> there are many opinions on LLMs, ranging from "AI is the future/endgame for web \
> search or programming or even running your OS" to "AI should be avoided like the \
> plague because it hallucinates and isn't fundamentally intelligent" to "AI is evil \
> because it was trained on massive datasets that were scraped without permission and \
> regurgitates that data without a license". I personally am of the opinion that \
> while output from LLMs should be taken with a grain of salt and cross-examined \
> against trustworthy sources, they can be quite useful for tasks like programming.
> KDE obviously is not out to sell cloud services; that's why going to \
> https://kde.org doesn't show you a banner "Special offer! Get 1 TB of cloud storage \
> for $25 per month!" Therefore, I'm not here to talk about hosting a (paywalled) \
> cloud LLM. However, I do think that it is worthwhile opening discussion about a \
> KDE-built LLM frontend app for local, self-hosted, or third-party-hosted models.
> From a technical standpoint, such an app would be fairly easy to implement. It \
> could rely on Ollama[0] (or llama.cpp[1], although llama.cpp isn't focused on a \
> server mode) to host the actual LLM; either of those backends support a wide \
> variety of hardware (including running on CPU; no fancy GPU required), as well as \
> many open-source LLM models like Llama 2. Additionally, using Ollama could allow \
> users to easily interact with remote Ollama instances, making this an appealing \
> path for users who wished to offload LLM work to a home server or even offload from \
> a laptop to a more powerful desktop.
> From an ideological standpoint, things get a little more nuanced. Does KDE condone \
> or condemn the abstract concept of an LLM? What about actual models we have \
> available (i.e. are there no models today that were trained in a way we view as \
> morally OK)? Should we limit support to open models like Llama 2 or would we be OK \
> with adding API support for proprietary models like GPT-4? Should we be joining the \
> mainstream push to put AI into everything or should we stand apart and let \
> Microsoft have its fun focusing on AI instead of potentially more useful features? \
> I don't recall seeing any discussion about this before (at least not here), so I \
> think those are all questions that should be fairly considered before development \
> on a KDE LLM frontend begins.
> I think it's also worth pointing out that while we can sit behind our screens and \
> spout out our ideals about AI, there are many users who aren't really concerned \
> about that and just like having a chatbot that responds in what at least appears to \
> be an intelligent manner about whatever they ask it. I have personally made use of \
> [...]

I am anti-LLM on the grounds that the training sets were created without the original \
authors' consent. I see no issue with a libre/ethical LLM, if there is one, though. \
If a developer or team of developers wants to implement a Qt and KDE-integrated LLM \
app, I have no problem with that, but I believe KDE as an organization should \
probably steer clear of such a thorny subject. It's sure to upset a lot of users no \
matter what position is taken. On the other hand, for those people who do make use of \
AI tools, a native interface would be nice, especially one as feature-ful as you're \
describing...

Regards,

Ethan B.