List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re : Re: NetworkManagerQt
From:       Carl Schwan <carl () carlschwan ! eu>
Date:       2022-05-27 21:11:08

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

Le vendredi 27 mai 2022 à 10:03 PM, Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella@gmx.de> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On 27/05/2022 17:35, Kovour, Sathyanarayana wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > My name is Sathya Kovour, I am part of Baxter International, a medical device \
> > manufacturer.
> > We come across NetworkManagerQt \
> > https://marketplace.qt.io/products/networkmanagerqt, and we have a few questions \
> > while we are making decision to use this very convenient modules in our project.
> > - As per above link this project is accessible for us with LGPL v2.1+. According \
> > to our legal department this is very restrictive for our distribution scenarios. \
> > I am wondering if you offer any additional licenses for this project to be used \
> > in our commercial setup without copy left clause.
>
> The short answer is: No.
>
> The longer answer is: To do this one would need to contact all of the \
> contributors/copyright holders and ask them to agree to a new license. That is \
> doable in theory but prohibitively difficult in practice.

In adition to that Nicolas already said, you might want to double check if the LGPL \
2.1 license is really to restrictive for your distributions scenarios. The LGPL 2.1 \
is more permissive than the normal GPL 2 and the LGPL 3 and as been specially be \
developed to be integrated inside proprietary projects.

I'm not a layer, but the key requirement for the LGPL 2.1 license is that you link \
the library with your project using dynamic linking, add a link to the source code \
and if you do modification to the library, you also need to publish your modification \
to the library. The rest of your project is not affected by the copy left clause.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Carl