List:       kde-devel
Subject:    The KIPI fate
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2022-04-15 10:21:53

In December KIPI support was removed from gwenview and spectacle with this commit \
message

************
    Drop KIPI support

    KIPI offers export functionality for various external services

    However it has been abandoned from its original authors and receives no real \
development any more
    A lot, if not all of its providers are defunct and it severly lacks UI polish

    Gwenview already has integration with Purpose which offers a similar (albeit \
                theoretically reduced) functionality with a much more polished \
                experience
************

I disagreed loudly on IRC, because we:

 * If we had to remove things that "receives no real development" we would remove \
more than half of KDE Gear, remember again, no new features doesn't mean that the \
software is not maintained.

 * "A lot, if not all of its providers are defunct" that's just simply not true since \
upon removal i went and tested various of the providers.

 * "severly lacks UI polish" *SO WHAT*

 * "integration with Purpose" useless unless Purpose starts supporting all the \
providers that KIPI used to support. Unsurprisingly, Purpose has not gained any new \
plugin support since December

This means that for the KDE Gear 22.04 release both gwenview and spectacle will have \
less features for our users for no real reason, it's not even that the code removed \
has hard to maintain in those two applications, it was not more than 500 lines of \
code in isolated classes.

Personally I would really like to revert those changes, but if not, I would like a \
wider confirmation that we have decided we don't care about our users that were \
potentially using those features (we have no way of knowning if 3 or 3 million) and \
if that's the case just archive libkipi and kipi-plugins on invent.kde.org so we can \
stop releasing and translating them.

Cheers,
  Albert