List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Season of KDE Proposal: Rust wrapper for KConfig
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2022-01-08 2:24:47

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 8:27 PM Ayush Singh <ayushdevel1325@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> I am a University student and the author of the rust crate ki18n. This cr=
ate allows using the KI18n Framework from Rust and can be used in conjuncti=
on with the qmetaobject crate to allow writing QML applications for KDE usi=
ng Rust.

> The Proposal for my project is to create a rust wrapper for the KConfig K=
DE Framework. With this crate present, it will be possible to create a QML/=
Kirigami + Rust application without C++. I already have some other Rust cra=
tes ready to help make the wrapper.

> Currently, the primary GUI solution for creating Rust applications is GTK=
-rs. If Rust wrappers of at least the essential parts of KDE are present, i=
t can become a viable toolkit for GUI development in Rust. If this project =
is done as part of the Season of KDE, it might also help to inform people a=
bout crates like qmetaobject, which works almost flawlessly to create QML +=
 Rust applications.

> I am looking for someone to mentor my project. The mentor does not need t=
o have Rust skills but should be familiar with KConfig. I haven't used KCon=
fig much and might miss important parts of the Framework. I would also like=
 to make the Bindings ergonomic and would need someone who has a better und=
erstanding of the Framework.

> My goal with this project is to increase the use of Rust in KDE as a whol=
e. But for that to happen, we first need a base to allow people to start se=
eing KDE Frameworks as viable for Rust-based GUI.

> Here is my alternate email to contact me directly: ayushsingh1325@gmail.c=
om

> Thank You

Rust sure looks interesting but I wonder whether having bindings for a
framework will make applications suddenly pop.

Is there any KDE project that would be furthered by having (and
maintaining) these bindings?

Aleix