List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Technical question on font rendering (gamma correction)
From:       Richard Lane <richrocksmyworld () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2021-05-27 14:53:26

Hi,

Since Qt 5.9 .otf fonts have been rendered with alpha-blending and gamma corrected in \
Qt apps / environments. The only other rendering engine to do this is Skia (used in \
Chrome browser etc.). I have a hardware calibrator device for my monitor.
My question is two-part:
1) What real monitor gamma value does KDE assume to do the gamma correction? 2.2?
2) I have noticed that a slightly darker gamma on my monitor is preferable, as the \
desktop looks slightly washed out at the default. Is it better to: a) calibrate my \
monitor to 2.4 instead of 2.2 b) calibrate my monitor to 2.2, and use the KDE \
software slider in system settings to reduce gamma from 1.0 to 0.9? thanks
Richard