List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Gitlab (commit) notifications
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2020-05-21 9:33:53

Am Thu, 21 May 2020 20:16:22 +1200
schrieb Ben Cooksley <bcooksley@kde.org>:
> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:20 AM Thomas Friedrichsmeier
> <thomas.friedrichsmeier@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
[...]
> > Is there any self-service way to receive commit/push notifications
> > via email from gitlab?
> >
> > If so, would such notifications include work-branches (that would be
> > useful, IMO)?
>
> Work branches cannot be notified on, as otherwise you end up
> renotifying all of the new commits in that work branch every time you
> force push.
> (It is impossible for hooks to tell if you are pushing a rewritten
> commit or a new one)

Ok, I can live with that (I don't intend to make use of force-pushing,
anyway, and may just switch to a different prefix, where appropriate).

However, I'd certainly welcome a feature to have commit notifications
on non-"work" branches (without merge requests). In RKWard we used to
have commit notifications going to a dedicated mailing list
(rkward-tracker) that also receives build failure notifications and
such, for a single point to subscribe to "all the noise" for the
project. IIRC, that notification mechanism was set up for us by
sysadmin, not by self-service.

Not exactly a high-priority thing, but I for one would welcome this
feature.

Regards
Thomas