List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Context information needed for isolated words
From:       David Hurka <david.hurka () mailbox ! org>
Date:       2020-05-02 12:46:12

> On 2 May 2020 12:02 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau@kde.org> wrote:
> And yes, most of the code written in recent years seems to have missed to add
> context in the i18n calls. The older among us have failed here to properly
> teach the new generations of contributors about good i18n code. :) Time to
> improve.

I expected that somehow. With the new pre-commit CI in GitLab, could we teach one of \
the code checkers to complain about new i18n() without c? Maybe by deprecating \
i18n()? And if the string to be translated has only one word (like in the example of \
"New" or "New..."), it may make sense to require more context than just a UI marker.

Yes, I am suggesting to forbid i18n() without c.