List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT_DEPRECATED_BEFORE/KF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE_AND_AT=0x060000 considered harmful
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-11-02 22:03:28

Am Donnerstag, 24. Oktober 2019, 10:50:07 CET schrieb laurent Montel:
> When a compilation is broken by a new deprecated method we will fix it.

First though lots of people run into the build error, and are annoyed by it.

As just happened know, because I properly added the missing deprecation markup
for KDE_DEFAULT_WINDOWFLAGS, e.g. added visibility guards around it. As a
result anyone building KDE software from git master still using this define,
is now running into a build error when the project got
KF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE_AND_AT=0x060000 set.

And I feel bad, because I triggered the build errors indirectly, due to the
planned-breakage setup :/ While I just added proper deprecation tagging, as
much as possible for a C++ preprocessor define.

So doing good things -> breaking things for others unwanted. This harms the
motivation to do good things. And also adds "break things" connotation to API
deprecation work.
So the mentioned setting even has counter-productive effects.

So I would like to repeat my request to please reconsider this usage, even
with the "is this a git checkout" check.,

Cheers
Friedrich