List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT_DEPRECATED_BEFORE/KF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED_BEFORE_AND_AT=0x060000 considered harmful
From:       Volker Krause <vkrause () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-10-24 16:49:02

On Thursday, 24 October 2019 16:41:58 CEST David Faure wrote:
> On jeudi 24 octobre 2019 16:32:32 CEST Volker Krause wrote:
> > Maybe we should look at this separately for stable branches and master?
>
> Makes sense for Applications (assuming we lower down from 0x060000 to
> latest- tested when master itself is branched into a stable branch).

Exactly.

> No such separation in KF5 itself though, there the question remains.
> But we have the task in our KF6 dashboard, so hopefully we won't forget to
> regularly increase the number and fix compilation. We as in, any KF6
> volunteer, not necessarily Laurent.

There's two things to look at for Frameworks I think:
- Qt: only two more version updates remaining for 5, or at most two per year.
Doing this as an explicit/script-assisted bump is probably acceptable, and to
to be sure we don't forget this it could maybe automatically be determined as
max(explicitly deprecated qt version, minimum required qt version).

- other KF5 dependencies: it might be worth setting this to the current KF5
version. At least at the point where we are deprecated-clean once, and accept
a deprecation policy that requires Frameworks to be ported before the
deprecation is executed. In such a scenario this would never trigger, but
provide a safe guard we follow our own rules.

Regards,
Volker