List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Portability of KDE Applications
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2019-08-22 8:22:00

On woensdag 21 augustus 2019 19:18:10 CEST Никита Сиргиенко wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone had issues with KDE Apps (based on kde frameworks) portability?
>
> I mean, the app can use different types of file: .rc, .knsrc, .png,
> additinal binary files, etc
> The problem appears, if you installed this files non standart installetion
> prefix, like /opt.

I would put most of those files in in the executable using the qrc system. That works \
for icons, settings rc file, xmlgui rc files (which, for Krita, I renamed to .xmlgui, \
since the rc suffix was confusing all my users). Not sure about knsrc files since the \
last attempt at integrating GHNS into Krita was a failure.

> Obviously, I can forward-pass installation prefix path, binary path, etc
> from Cmake to the aplication, but I am interested, is there support for
> situtation like this from KDE frameworks?
>
> Just an example: the app have a few .rc files for menus, can I set
> additional search path for kde core addons (better from cmake, but settings
> path for example from main.cpp not bad too, if it need done only one time),
> and use not absolute path?

That's solved by going the qrc route.

> I know, that Kde apps more target to kde platform, but the application is a
> part of KdeEdu project, and portability is very important for us (for our
> application), because we target for students, and the students often
> haven't administration rights on work computers, used for education.

Are you only targeting Linux, or also other operating systems? For Linux, appimage \
probably is the best solution since it is the simplest for the end user.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org