List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Running clang-format across all Plasma (and more?) repos
From:       Hugo Pereira Da Costa <hugo.pereira.da.costa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-07-11 14:55:15

Hi David,

On 7/11/19 4:18 PM, David Edmundson wrote:
> One topic discussed at the recent Plasma sprint was that we should run
> a code formatting tool (clang-format) over all our repos to ease all
> future review comments about whitespace.
>
> All new contributions simply have to run the same tool and we get
> consistent code without having to comment on every minor thing in a
> review individually.
>
> I've written up a wall of text outlining steps, challenges etc.
> https://phabricator.kde.org/T11214
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts / objections?

I think this is a really good initiative. Reading through the task, I
wonder why you would take out breeze and oxygen. They have been more or
less formatted manually over the time with a format which is somewhat
different from the rest of plasma, but this is simply because that was
the format I got used to while working on other projects. Now, it is
documented nowhere, not really followed by other contributers (the
latter being a consequence of the former). All in all, I would not
object to having this format changed, homogenized and standardized,
especially if this is prerequisite to then have it maintained
automatically rather than manually.

My two cents.

Best,

Hugo