List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Gitlab Evaluation & Migration
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-03-13 8:21:25

Same. One thing I like very much about GitLab is that it puts the onus
of merging post-review on the *reviewer*.

In this thread there have been some qualms on "is GitLab maybe harder on
newbie devs", but this doesn't take into account the extremely awkward
dance we currently do where we ask people if they have dev access or not
and if they need help landing. In GitLab, once your MR is up there, and
gets accepted, you're done - much smoother, no feeling of "you're not
part of the team yet", etc. The reviewer just clicks "Merge" and it's in
(no more fiddling with arc patch/land for the reviewer, either).

If Rebase is really convenient for reviewers (the button), that's more
likely to stay that nice, because people don't get asked "can you rebase
this for me", either. It builds on the strength.

Cheers,
Eike