List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Gitlab Evaluation & Migration
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-02-26 9:05:23

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 10:02 PM Eike Hein <hein@kde.org> wrote:

> On 2/26/19 4:17 AM, Nate Graham wrote:
> > Like you, I have some reservations about Gitlab. I'm not thrilled about losing \
> > approve/request changes statuses (that's in the EE edition only right now).
>
> Me too. It's one of the things we're asking to be moved to the CE -- and
> so is Gnome. GitLab knows we're talking to each other and doubling down
> on this need.
>

> > the kdesrc-build experience
>
> How would GitLab impact the kdesrc-build experience?
>

> > Landing patches is time-consuming and error-prone.
>
> Yes. As a maintainer of things I often land patches by new contributors
> without dev access, and it's super annoying and painful. `arc patch`,
> remember to correct author info, merge around, ...
>

> > Phab's system that attempts (and fails) to abstract away Git itself
>
> I think Phab was originally written for SVN - it shows I guess.

I can confirm that Phabricator was originally written for SVN (as that
is what is used internally at Facebook).

The ability to have Phabricator host repositories was something it
only gained around the time we started looking at migrating to it.
Prior to that it had exclusively been a repository viewer and code
review tool (and I suspect the code review part predates the
repository viewer component)

> Cheers,
> Eike

Cheers,