List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Using Froglogic to test our application
From:       Harri Porten <porten () froglogic ! com>
Date:       2018-02-24 19:24:35

Hi Emmanuel,

On Sat, 17 Feb 2018, Emmanuel Charruau wrote:

> We would like to automate gcompris testing.
> I found this article
> https://www.froglogic.com/news/froglogic-announces-kde-edition-of-gui-testing-tool-squish/
> while looking for solutions.
> Do you know if it still exists (the article is from 2006) and did you already use it?

The KDE-specific edition announced above got replaced by the standard
Squish for Qt edition provided to non-commercial open source projects for
free.

I suggest you start out with a trial version

  https://www.froglogic.com/squish/free-trial/

and then let me know whether you consider it worth for permanent usage.
I'll take care of a free license.

> If you did, what did you test using it?

I'd suggest to automate the most common use cases first. An approach that
is semi-standard is the description of tests using human-readable BDD
feature files.

> Did it find some bugs you would have missed without this tool?

The main goal of regression testing is about a) relieving manual testers
from repetitive tasks and b) find issues quicker by running the tests
repeatedly and on several platforms. You'll end up with a coverage that is
hard - if not impossible - to achieve through manual testing.

Harri.