List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DragonPlayer
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-12-08 21:04:12

It's maintained just fine
https://phabricator.kde.org/R259:b06cd9e1fbacefabdd2c0fa61f9af39cead25d8e.
It's not getting better, it's not getting worse it's getting
maintained at the level it is at. What Nate is asking for is an active
developer... and that is an entirely different problem which speaks
more to the community investment in our applications than anything
else.

From where I am standing dragon's purity of purpose has been ripped
apart, put back together, than ripped apart again. Making it a
frankenmonster in so many ways that I would find it hard to imageine
anyone wanting to actually iterate on the current code instead of just
rewriting the entire damn thing to go back to the basics (being the
simplest UI possible for video) or making a competitive product to VLC
(and let's be honest why would anyone do that considering VLC's
default UI is Qt, so one might as well spend time on that).

As far as feature development is concerned it's a bit of a dead-end,
unless you are out for fights. You can neither take all advanced
features out lest you piss off people, nor can you graft more features
on and throw its entire selling point out the window making it yet
more complicated.

To that end if there is community support for killing dragon, I won't
stand in anyone's way.
KDE is already good friends with VideoLAN and I would only find it
fitting if we threw some of our experience in making GUIs behind VLC
to make it even better and let it shine in a plasma-desktop &
plasma-mobile context.

That being said though. If anyone wants to start from scratch with a
super simple video player UI to replace the current dragon they can
get in touch with me. Jens and I worked on a really kickass concept
already. There is value in the simple use case, it's just not going to
take over the world.

HS

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Sebastian K=C3=BCgler <sebas@kde.org> wrote=
: