List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Detecting appstream scheme support ; end-user-oriented "About AppStream" page (was: Re: Add "Ins
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-12-19 3:02:04

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau@kde.org> wrote:
> Moving to kde-devel for more input by app developers:
>
> For the current testing entry with an appstream: url on KDE pages see the
> right box on https://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/okteta/
>
> But it is unclear if "AppStream" works here with most end-users. Please read
> on below and then give your comments/2 cents :)

> > > At least from a quick search there is no simple querying of the supported
> > > protocols possible. Only saw hacks of the kind which made me try to stay
> > > out of web development.
> > >
> > > I would agree only showing the link active in browsers where the protocol
> > > works would be nicer. I can just tell myself e.g. irc:// urls in the same
> > > box also have a similar fate.
> >
> > I am actually rather happy about that, the less information a browser
> > exposes to the webpage by default, the harder it gets to use the
> > information for tracking or to detect vulnerable systems.
> >
> > > @Matthias & Co: What other web pages/sites are already making use of such
> > > appstream links? How do they handle it?
> >
> > So far I've only seen very few, mainly on Wiki pages or private pages
> > at GNOME. All of them show these links unconditionally.
> > What you could do is detect whether the user is running Linux and if
> > not, hide the link. As of no, there is no Windows client consuming
> > this data that I know of.
> >
> > > That left aside, most people surely still have no clue what "AppStream"
> > > is.
> > >
> > > So it could make sense to have a small note mark to the right of the
> > > appstream:id link for the "What the heck is Appstream" use-case, so people
> > > could click/tap the button and learn about AppStream (or already learn a
> > > little in a tooltip, though a separate note mark still is needed for
> > > discovery and touch UI browsing).
> >
> > About that: I wonder whether it would actually make more sense to show
> > a link like "Open in Software Center" or "Open in KDE Discover" or
> > anything more descriptive... AppStream is a rather technical term, and
> > if users need to read a page to know what it does, the links are less
> > useful.
>
> The issue here is that we do not know what handler is invoked by the
> appstream: scheme. Only the browser knows. If lucky, it perhaps might be nice
> enough to show some information on cursor hovering (at least in a mouse-driven
> UI, no idea how touch UI can preview info about url handling on linked
> elements).
> Given the variety of names of the software installation managers on all the
> systems, I fear there is no generic enough name, which might not result again
> in people also thinking "Does not work for me" or wrongly thinking "Works for
> me".
>
> IMHO the distro-agnostic appstream thing is an implementation detail and
> concept which can/should _not_ be hidden from the user here in the case of the
> distro-agnostic app pages. That would be trying to make things more simple
> [...]

I think you're overcomplicating the issue. If you want, you can check
whether if it's running Linux, but then as soon as it's Linux I'd
assume an appstream client is present. Otherwise an error message will
pop up, I would also assume that whoever is running a system without
gnome-software/discover is the geeky kind of person who will be able
to figure it out. Or just install these applications because they're
there to be used.

About adding further information in the url, I think it's an error.
It's very hard to get it right and distributions package the software
however they want (i.e. version), including the version will only make
the software center complain when people use any of the distros that
don't update the software when it stops being supported by KDE. Just
finding an older version of the software is just fine. The action is
something impossible to implement (do we want to have
action=uninstall? action=update? how does the website figure these
out? Impossible).

I'd say: enjoy the appstream:/ urls, it's a simple albeit new
technology we can leverage now and we should undoubtedly. Other things
could be possible but this works and is already standardized and
implemented. I hope you can see the value in it like I do.

Aleix