List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New location for Git commit template?
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-24 10:33:12

On Samstag, 23. April 2016 19:35:47 CEST Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sat, April 23, 2016 15:17:24 John Layt wrote:
> > On 22 April 2016 at 13:15, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer@kde.org>
wrote:
> > > So, where should we put one now? Or is there already one someplace else?
> >
> > I'd probably vote for KF5::KCoreAddons as it's the closest thing we
> > have to kdelibs. The reason it was in kdelibs rather than just on the
> > wiki was so that when it was changed everyone would automatically get
> > the updated version without having to do anything, and kdelibs was the
> > one place we could guarantee almost every dev would have checked out
> > and updated regularly. I'm not sure we have one place like that
> > anymore.
> >
> > If we had a proper sdk I'd say to put it there, so perhaps we finally
> > need a new repo for this and other things like a default .gitconfig,
> > .gitignore and other useful scripts, and maybe even default
> > kdesrc-build config files?
>
> Well there is a kde-sdk-scripts repository already, though it's really more
> of a buffet of different, barely-related scripts than an a curated "we
> think *every* KDE dev should have these files with them".
>
> I wouldn't mind moving the recommended kdesrc-build configs to a separate
> SDK repo though, if we create it or repurpose a different repo to also do
> that.

On the other hand: What damage would it do if we suggested to every developer
to clone kde-sdk-scripts? It's not like it's so big that people would think
twice about wasting precious disk space on scripts they don't need.

If we fear that the most important files on there might get lost among the less
important ones, we could still improve the folder structure within that
repository to make clear which are the basic files.

Therefore, from my perspective it would make sense to link to just put the
files we're discussing here in the kde-sdk-scripts repo (maybe in their own
folder) and recommend to clone that repo in the wiki?

Would that make sense to you all?

Thom	AS