List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: New location for Git commit template?
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-23 15:08:28

On Samstag, 23. April 2016 15:17:24 CEST John Layt wrote:
> On 22 April 2016 at 13:15, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer@kde.org> wrote:
> > So, where should we put one now? Or is there already one someplace else?
>
> I'd probably vote for KF5::KCoreAddons as it's the closest thing we
> have to kdelibs. The reason it was in kdelibs rather than just on the
> wiki was so that when it was changed everyone would automatically get
> the updated version without having to do anything, and kdelibs was the
> one place we could guarantee almost every dev would have checked out
> and updated regularly. I'm not sure we have one place like that
> anymore.
>
> If we had a proper sdk I'd say to put it there, so perhaps we finally
> need a new repo for this and other things like a default .gitconfig,
> .gitignore and other useful scripts, and maybe even default
> kdesrc-build config files?
>
> John.

Yes, a default .gitconfig would be much more convenient than having to enter
what feels like a ton of "git config" commands. So yes, some repository which
people could just clone to get everything they need to get started would
surely make it easier for new contributors.

> P.S. Thanks for the updates to the Git pages, been a while since I
> last checked them for correctness! Reading them now, I think they need
> a rewrite to remove all the SVN migration hand-holding that was their
> original reason.

Yes, giving these pages an overhaul would certainly be useful. I mean, I write
that blog post [1] for a reason, after all ;)

Cheers,
Thomas

[1]  http://sessellift.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/a-usability-guys-journey-to-creating-his-first-kde-tool-part-1-baby-steps/