List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: appstream icons and the hicolor madness we have in KDE software
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-21 11:23:19

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol@kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:
>> Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>>
>>> GNOME ships icons for all its apps in hicolor/
>>
>> KDE should too (in general)
>
> Would it be enough if Breeze installed the applications icons in
> hicolor or we're talking about moving every application icon into the
> application's tarball?

It needs to be available, how it gets into hicolor is secondary. That
said having breeze-icons install app icons to hicolor would make every
app runtime depend on breeze-icons and ultimately further down the
line cause a variation of the oxygen-by-default problem I outlined a
couple weeks back on the frameworks list where once we deprecate
breeze in favor of some new theme we suddenly have random conflicts
and runtime dependencies that shouldn't be there... so, while
technically possible this IMO would abuse the icon theme and cause
more trouble in the future.

Additionally, in particular from an application perspective, it would
be good if one were able to use XFCE, install dragon, have it have an
icon in the menu, and not have it download all of breeze-icons ;)

HS