List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players
From:       Dāvis Mosāns <davispuh () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-08-04 21:42:24

>> > http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-mp3-decoder/
>> >
>> > Most stuff ain't for free, though (and unlike the mp3 thing, binary only),
>> > but still "legal" (even in the US)
>> >
>> > http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-codec-pack/
>> >
>> > So the difference is that you can use gstreamer to legally playback all
>> > cool stuff (but of course everyone with a brain is going to use gst-ugly)
>> LOL, from that oneplay mp3 page "Issues to be aware of"
>>
>> > if you ship GStreamer with our binary MP3 plug-in, you need to be sure
>> > that
>> > you don't ship any GPL-licensed plug-ins that could end up being used
>> > together with the MP3 plug-in, as this would be a violation of the GPL.
>> > You also need to make sure you don't ship any GPL-licensed players which
>> > would use this plug-in.
>>
>> So basically even if you wanted to use it legally you can't use most of
>> players as almost everything is GPL... of course you don't have to abide by
>> it but then what was point of trying to do it legally as you can do it
>> easier in other ways...
>
> Learn to read.
>
> "If you *ship* GStreamer ..."
>
> It is completely legal to *use* the binary Fluendo plugin with a GPLed player.

Nope, it's not legal (I'm not lawyer) but even if you don't distribute
you still violate
GPL as you can't mix GPL with GPL incompatible license. Only difference is that
no one will know that you violate GPL, same as pirating...

Look at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem
> I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary system.
> I have no permission to use that software except what the GPL gives me.
> Can I do this?
>> You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary system. The
>> goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to copy, redistribute,
>> understand, and modify a program. If you could incorporate GPL-covered
>> software into a non-free system, it would have the effect of making the
>> GPL-covered software non-free too.

>> However, in many cases you can distribute the GPL-covered software
>> alongside your proprietary system. To do this validly, you must make sure
>> that the free and non-free programs communicate at arms length, that they
>> are not combined in a way that would make them effectively a single program.

>> The difference between this and "incorporating" the GPL-covered software is
>> partly a matter of substance and partly form. The substantive part is this: if the
>> two programs are combined so that they become effectively two parts of one
>> program, then you can't treat them as two separate programs. So the GPL has
>> to cover the whole thing.

When GPL licensed media player is linked with GStreamer which dynamically loads
that non-free library, it all would become a single program covered by GPL and
it's not legally possible to do so because of incompatible license you are
violating that media player's GPL license because you weren't granted
a license for
it to use it with non-free code.

> And unfortunately you quoted only part of the text, and left out the other
> important part:
> ----
> Fortunately, most GStreamer plug-ins are LGPL, and many of the playback
> applications come with licensing terms that allow them to be used with non-
> free plug-ins. The Totem media player and the Banshee music player are two
> examples.
> ----

most? *citation needed*, also I was talking only about GPL'd players.