List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players
From:       Stefan Bruens <stefan.bruens () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2015-08-04 19:45:17

On Tuesday 04 August 2015 19:29:27 Dāvis Mosāns wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 4. August 2015 17:41:35 CEST, Martin Sandsmark wrote:
> >> since the free decoder apparently isn't available anymore
> >
> > http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-mp3-decoder/
> >
> > Most stuff ain't for free, though (and unlike the mp3 thing, binary only),
> > but still "legal" (even in the US)
> >
> > http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-codec-pack/
> >
> > So the difference is that you can use gstreamer to legally playback all
> > cool stuff (but of course everyone with a brain is going to use gst-ugly)
> LOL, from that oneplay mp3 page "Issues to be aware of"
>
> > if you ship GStreamer with our binary MP3 plug-in, you need to be sure
> > that
> > you don't ship any GPL-licensed plug-ins that could end up being used
> > together with the MP3 plug-in, as this would be a violation of the GPL.
> > You also need to make sure you don't ship any GPL-licensed players which
> > would use this plug-in.
>
> So basically even if you wanted to use it legally you can't use most of
> players as almost everything is GPL... of course you don't have to abide by
> it but then what was point of trying to do it legally as you can do it
> easier in other ways...

Learn to read.

"If you *ship* GStreamer ..."

It is completely legal to *use* the binary Fluendo plugin with a GPLed player.

And unfortunately you quoted only part of the text, and left out the other
important part:
----
Fortunately, most GStreamer plug-ins are LGPL, and many of the playback
applications come with licensing terms that allow them to be used with non-
free plug-ins. The Totem media player and the Banshee music player are two
examples.
----

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034     mobile: +49 151 50412019