List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Help wanted to evolve KDEs music players
From:       Martin Sandsmark <martin.sandsmark () kde ! org>
Date:       2015-08-04 17:13:35

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 07:29:27PM +0300, Dāvis Mosāns wrote:
> So basically even if you wanted to use it legally you can't use most of players
> as almost everything is GPL... of course you don't have to abide by it but then
> what was point of trying to do it legally as you can do it easier in
> other ways...

Yes, this is kind of what makes it so absurd for me.

The reason we can't use LGPLed libvlc in free software is because there is no
company selling unfree modules for it.

I do understand the reasoning though, and even if I don't agree with it, the
policy seems to be set in stone in Fedora et al. So I don't see any reason to
argue or try to convince anyone.

--
Martin Sandsmark