List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Need help getting started | plasma 5 touchscreen support
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2015-05-26 13:01:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 26 May 2015 14:35:59 Tristan Hartmut Wettich wrote:
> Hello KDE developers,
> What kde's touchscreen needs (in my opinion):
> - More stability (Correct me if I'm wrong, using openSUSE tumbleweed and
> touchscreen crashes as said earlier...)
> - A few more gestures (Ability to do right-clicks or to scroll are the
> most importent I think..)
> - Easy configuration (Perhaps listed as input device and beeing
> configureable there)
>
> I hope there is someone who can help me getting started with all this.

Hi Tristan,

great to hear that you want to help improve touchscreen support. As I recently
started integrating touch support in kwin_wayland I can share some of the
ideas and code location to look at.

First of all I think we should focus on touch support on Wayland and ignore
X11 completely. X11 adds a lot of complexity and wouldn't allow much of code
sharing with later on Wayland.

For global touch gestures we have a thread on forums.kde.org:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=125570

Feel free to share your thoughts there especially also on the question about
emulating right click events.

The code in question will have to be added in kwin (git clone
git://anongit.kde.org/kwin.git) in the file called input.cpp - there all touch
events are processed and distributed to various places. Global gestures need
to be recognized there - code for this is still missing and any help there is
more than welcome.

Cheers
Martin