List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE backward compatibility issue
From:       Vasily Khoruzhick <anarsoul () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-04 18:49:15

Hi Milian,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> wrote:

> If these apps link against Qt5 statically (which they can, assuming they pay
> the license fees to Digia), then they will need to recompile and release an
> updated version. If otoh they just ship they own set of libs and adapt
> LD_PRELOAD or similar, then one can still exchange the libraries.

They link dynamically, and I tried to replace Qt libraries for Viber,
but it just crashes
somewhere inside their binary.

> And, if they do this, then they need to do this regularly anyways to benefit
> from the bug fixes and potential security fixes in Qt upstream.

We're living in real world, and most companies aren't interested in
supporting Linux well enough.
Viber version wasn't updated for quite a while, and I don't believe
that they will release an update anytime soon.

Anyway, fixing every application instead of fixing it at the lower
level doesn't sound reasonable.

Regards,
Vasily