List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Configuring a dataengine from plasma applet
From:       David Edmundson <david () davidedmundson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2015-01-12 10:08:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM, Stefan Bruens <stefan.bruens@rwth-aachen.de
> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I a currently writing a plasma applet for KF5, as well as a dataengine.
> Both
> are running fine, but now I want to configure the dataengine from the
> applet.
> The settings for the dataengine are session-global.

You can't really configure a dataengine. By design they're meant to be
separated from where they're being used, and in general are read only.

You could combine it with a Plasma::Service to set data that writes to it's
own config file then updates the dataengine.

> As far as I can see, the org.kde.plasma.configuration components are only
> suited for creating configurations for applet instances.
>
> On the other hand, my dataengine maybe should better be implemented as (an
> interface to)  a kservice.  Is this the right thing to do?

Native QML Plugins can be used directly instead of going via dataengines.
The notes applet might be a good example as that contains some session-wide
objects.