List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Love for Konqueror
From:       Martin Steigerwald <Martin () lichtvoll ! de>
Date:       2014-12-09 20:23:40

Am Dienstag, 9. Dezember 2014, 21:10:01 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Alternatives all have their weaknesses.
>
> - Iceweasel / Firefox: I just look at the GTK file dialog box it uses and I
> am  done with it (sorry, to be honest: One of the worst usability
> nightmares *ever*). Or that you cannot search cookie exception rules. And
> integration issues with KDE here and there. I know people tried making KDE
> integration, but it is not readily available in Debian.
>
> - Chromium: It still feels like a forein body in my KDE desktop. It is fast
> and all that… but what gives, even with system window borders…

Add to that proper session management:

When I logout a KDE session Konqueror opens with all stuff like before on next
login with exact window positions and so on – this even works in Akregor tabs
usually. It is that integrated experience that I loved so much.

And easily having each window in its own process. Rekonq doesn ´t do this I
think (at least the 2.4.2 version I have here). One konqueror window could
crash and burn while the others still worked, like in Dolphin and any other I
think *sane* application.

Iceweasel meanwhile partly gets session management right meanwhile, but then
on some occasions when I quitted it before logging out it opens empty on next
start. At least it lazy loads tabs, which is a nice feature, which I ´d love to
see in Konqueror.

Chromium: Uhm, I think it doesn ´t remember anything between sessions.

Well I bet you get the idea: This nice, lovely, and *integrated* browsing
experience I enjoyed years ago as the term KDE named the desktop that is now
called Plasma. This: It feels like a KDE compoment kind of feeling.